Friday, January 23, 2009

Easy Pepper Steak

My Husband loves his Mom's pepper steak. So, I always just let her make it for him. That was until she started to become ill and I realized I'd better come up with something or he might not ever experience pepper steak again. This recipe is very simple and easily adapted to work in a crock pot and he likes it, he really likes it.

Easy Pepper Steak

1 round steak - tenderized
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 can diced tomatoes - undrained
1 medium onion - cut into strips
2 bell peppers - cut into strips

Cut steak into serving size pieces. (I try to make them into strips about the same size as the peppers and onions) Season with garlic, salt and pepper. Dust meat with flour.

In heavy skillet, over medium-high heat, brown meat in vegetable oil. Transfer to a dutch oven.

Combine garlic, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and 1 can of water (use the empty tomato can to measure) and pour over steak. Bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender, about an hour. Serve over rice.



TIP: If I have a busy day ahead of me, I will put the browned meat and the rest of the ingredients into my crock pot and cook on High for 3-4 hours, or Low for 6-7.



~Nicole

1 comment:

Treehouse Chef said...

This recipe looks delicious!
Can't wait to try it.